Categories and Eligibility
Application is open to applicant who owns a non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 16 and 35, in good health condition, (Applicant is currently working in a Chinese language teaching position shall not exceed the age limit of 45. Undergraduate student shall not exceed the age limit of 20).
1. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other?Languages (MTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for no more than 2 academic years. Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and pass the HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicants for full scholarship should own a minimum score of?210 in HSK Test (Level 5), and applicants for partial scholarship should own a minimum score of 180 in HSKTest (Level 5). Applicant who is able to provide the employment agreement or certification upon finishing the study from designated working institutions is preferred.
2. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other?Languages (BTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for no more than 4 academic years. Applicant should hold a high school diploma or above, and pass the HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicants for full scholarship should own a minimum score of?210 in HSK Test (Level 4), and applicants for partial scholarship should own a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level4). Applicant who has enrolled at the confucius institute(Classooms) is preferred.
3. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months. Students involved in any study program in China after?1st?January 2017 are not eligible.?
3.1?Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages Course:?A?full scholarship Application is open to current Chinese language teachers, and students who are potential Master?pusuers in Teaching to Speakers of Other Languages.? Applicant should have a minimum score of?270 in HSK Test (Level 3), and obtain HSKK test certificate.
3.2?Chinese Philosophy Course:?A full or partial scholarship
Application is open to scholars or students who are committed to Chinese
Translation or Chinese Studies. Applicant should have a minimum score of 180 in
HSK Test (Level 4), and?pass HSKK test (Intermediate Level).?
4. Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China.
4.1Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages Course:?Application is open to current Chinese teacher, registered students of Confucius Institute (classroom) and students majoring in Chinese language who are potential bachelor pursuers of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages. Applicant should have a minimum score of?210 in HSK Test (Level 3), and?obtain HSKK test certificate.?
4.2?Chinese Language& Literature, Chinese Philosophy Course:?Application is open to scholars or students who are committed to Chinese Translation or Chinese Studies.Applicant should have a minimum score of?210 in HSK Test (Level 3), and?obtain HSKK test certificate.?
5. Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 4-week home stay program. Application is mainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students group(10-15 people). Applicant should submit a HSK score report, and have no prior experience of studying in China.
‘Chinese Bridge’ (Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students) Winners who have been awarded the 2017 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” can apply for admission according to the scholarship specified in the certificate.Please consult?[email protected]?concerning scholarship awarding.
Living allowance is granted by the host institutions on monthly basis. The allowance
criteria per person are:
● BTCSOL, One-Academic-Year Study, One-Semester Study: RMB2,500 per month
● MTCSOL: RMB3,000 per month Enrollment status is based on semesters of host institutions.?
Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the admission month, are entitled to the full allowance of that month. Students, who are enrolled after the 15th of that month, are only entitled to half of the allowance.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month later upon confirming the graduation status by host institutions.
During the study, for any students who is absent from China of personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legal holidays), the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personal reasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance to relevant regulations on international students stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. The insurance fee are: 100RMB/person for four week study, 400RMB/person for One-semester study, and 800RMB per year for students who study over one year.
The degree scholarship program applicants are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; those who achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; the others will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers are required to attend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee is reimbursed by host institutions.
1．? April 20th （Enroll in July）
2．June 1st（Enroll in September）
3．September 20th（Enroll in December）?
4．December 20th（Enroll in March of 2019）
For applicants, recommending institutions and host institutions, please find admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results on the Confucius Institute Scholarships website
1.?????? For application, please log on to both ECNU website（application.php）
and the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, Chinese language testing centers(ECNU) are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. Host institutions will review the eligibility of applicants(An interview is required for ECNU degree program applicants)?and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Normally, the admission results will be announced 2 months before the beginning of term.
5. After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions will post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other relevant documents. The copy of the scholarship certificate can be print out from the CIS website.
* Application documents sent by email or fax are not accepted.
* Application documents will not be returned whether the applicants are admitted by ECNU or not.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
Ms. Sun Qi
Add: International Students Office, East
China Normal University
Room 253, Physics Building, 3663 Zhongshan Rd.(N.), Shanghai, 200062, China
Division of Testing and Scholarship, Confucius Institute Headquarters / Hanban
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088.
Fax: +86-10-58595937 Email:[email protected]
Confucius Institute Scholarship Website: http://cis.chinese.cn
HSK and HSKK Website:?http://www.chinesetest.cn